When you start your Invisalign© treatment with your AAO accredited orthodontist like I have recently, you want to know how to properly care for your Invisalign© trays so they stay clear of bacteria as well as make sure you don’t accidentally damage them.
Here are some Do’s and Don’ts when it comes to taking care of your new Invisalign© trays so you keep a healthy mouth throughout the duration of treatment.
- Rinse your aligners after removing them. Dry saliva and plaque create a perfect breeding ground for foul smelling bacteria.
- Soak your aligners. You can use Denture cleaner, Retainer Brite or the official Invisalign© cleaning crystals. All are excellent options for keeping your trays clear and sanitized.
- An inexpensive way to clean your aligners with a clear anti-bacterial soft soap. A clear anti-bacterial soap is an excellent and inexpensive way to keep your aligners clear, fresh, and free from harmful bacteria.
- Brush and floss your teeth before reinserting your aligners. Proper oral hygiene is key to maintaining healthy teeth and avoiding cavities and decay. Since Invisalign© is form fitted, failing to brush and floss properly can trap harmful particles between your teeth and aligner, which increases your risk for dental issues in the future.
- Brush your aligners gently. Vigorous brushing can scratch your aligners and leave visible etchings. Brush carefully!
- Eat or drink (anything but water) while wearing Invisalign©. Many foods and drinks can stain or discolor your aligners and cause them to stink.
- Use toothpaste to clean your aligners. Many types of toothpaste (especially those with whitening agents) are abrasive and can dull your aligners or create small traps for bacteria to dwell.
- Use colored soaps. Although anti-bacterial soap is a great way to clean your Invisalign© braces, using anything but clear soap can cause your aligners to take on alternative hues and shades.
- Leave your aligners exposed or unprotected while eating. Aside from an increased risk of misplacing them, leaving your aligners in the open exposes them to harmful germs and bacteria. Rinse them, soak them, and then rinse them again before returning them to your mouth.
The doctors and team at Zaytoun Orthodontics will make sure you are well informed throughout the duration of your entire treatment. We are with you every step of the way! Call 9191-782-6911 to make your free examination appointment to see if Invisalign© is a right fit for you! Affordable payment options are always available to meet your financial needs!!