Tired of sleeping poorly or snoring loudly? Let the team at Zaytoun Orthodontics help treat your Sleep Apnea.
What causes Sleep Apnea?
Sleep Apnea is a chronic condition where your breathing briefly stops throughout the night. When you stop breathing, the lack of oxygen in your brain wakes you up to restart your breath. The constant cycle of waking up and falling back asleep keeps people with sleep apnea from getting a deep sleep, leaving them feeling drowsy throughout the day.
There are several types of sleep apnea, with the most common being obstructive sleep apnea and, less so, central sleep apnea. Common risk factors associated with sleep apnea include:
- Narrowed airways in the neck/throat
- Use of alcohol, sedatives, or tobacco
- Chronic nasal congestion
- Age and gender – sleep apnea is most common in older males
What issues can Sleep Apnea cause?
Sleep apnea is a frustrating condition, leaving those who suffer from it chronically tired. Symptoms of sleep apnea include:
- Insomnia or difficulty sleeping
- Loud snoring at night
- Waking up at night short of breath
- Snorting or choking sounds during the night (including a restart of breathing)
- Headaches upon waking up in the morning
- Falling asleep unintentionally during the day
- Extreme drowsiness during the day
If you suffer from any of these symptoms and you think sleep apnea is to blame, schedule a consultation with one of our orthodontist in Cary, Raleigh, or Garner.
How do you treat Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea and snoring treatments vary depending on the cause and severity of the condition. If you suspect that you may be suffering from sleep apnea, contact your physician first. In some cases, the diagnosis & treatment prescribed by your physician may include an oral appliance that repositions your lower teeth and jaw while asleep. If you are dealing with sleep apnea in Raleigh, Cary, or Garner, let our orthodontists help you sleep comfortably again. Our doctors at Zaytoun Orthodontics can help treat your sleep apnea